Re: [SLE] MTA Selection
  • From: Gary <gv-dated-7098286.cckeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:33:58 -0600
On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 04:16:50PM +0100 or thereabouts, Martin Mielke wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
> > I am looking to make a decision for an MTA in the next few weeks. Here
> > are the current front runners.
> > -sendmail
> > -postfix
> > -qmail
> > ..Opinions on each? Or others?
>
> [ snip ]
>
> confess! you were bored and wanted to see another "religious war"... :-)
> OK, my advise for you is: Postfix.

hee, hee..

> Qmail is a good choice too, but I do prefer Postfix over those two: it's
> easy to configure/manage, fast, secure... and if you come from the
> Sendmail-World the learning curve is almost a line, as you don't need to
> know too much new things to get familiar with Postfix.

Actually, Ryan's question is so nebulous that it is almost useless. It is
like saying, what car should I buy?

He needs to supply more info. Ryan, what are your needs? Do you serve any
clients, or is this for personal use? How many clients do you serve, 20,
200, 20,000, or 20 million? Do you serve your mail over NFS? How much
concurrency do you need. What kind of services, if any, besides SMTP..
STARTTLS, POP3, IMAP(s), Web interface, Do you have any virtual domains?
If so, how many 10 or 5000. What kind of server do you have, a 486 or an
AMD64, or dual PIII?

The ease of configuration and use of the above MTAs are based on your
needs. Of course security is a main issue... qmail is the most secure,
postfix second, sendmail last..

--
Gary