Re: [SLE] How to set a reiserfs partition fsck occasionally?
  • From: Michael James <Michael.James@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:40:16 +1100
On Saturday 31 January 2004 03:47, yep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> RAM is affected when your PSU is to small.
> Hope you get the hint

I'm aware that a lot of things have to go right for a machine to work.
Some other posters suggest using error correcting (parity) ram.
Parity is a Good Thing, I remember a Sun that ran for a month
patiently complaining about a dud stick, till we got the techs in.

> Fredag 30 januar 2004 16:00 skrev Alex Angerhofer:
> > I believe when you use "shutdown -R now" you can force a fsck on reboot.

I'll try it.

> > I'd be very interested in how you tracked your reiserfs problems to flakey
> > ram.

Memtest86.
First thing to try when a machine displays flakeyness.
Ran it all weekend and it reported 1 error.
Started elimination, removed second stick of ram,
run it long enough, get an error.
Swapped sticks, eventually caught an error.
Always a different address, different bit or 2.

Put it down to bad motherboard,
or some subtle timing mismatch between ram (PS2700 DDR)
and motherboard (Asus P4 with SIS chipset).

Took both sticks to tech support and swapped them for another pair.
Ran memtest all weekend, clean.
(Yes the week between those weekends was frustrating.)

Machine rock solid again, mentally appologised to Suse, Hans etc.
Gratefully returned to productive work.

BTW, in those dark days I had a Grub entry to boot into memtest86,
but lost it an upgrade ago, could someone post the paragraph
from /boot/grub/menu.1st that allows this?
I have /boot/memtest.bin present but:

title memtest86
image (hd0,0)/memtest.bin

doesn't do it?

--
Michael James michael.james@xxxxxxxx
System Administrator voice: 02 6246 5040