Re: [SLE] Top posting
  • From: David Herman <mesamoo115@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:34:48 -0800

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 10:58 am, Jim Norton wrote:
- ------------snip----------------
> I'm just pointing out that a barrage of "don't top post" and "trim
> your posts appropriately" can be just as annoying

More annoying if you ask me.

> as "top posts" and
> "improperly trimmed" posts. The point is that not everybody has the
> same sense of what is irritating. Unless a standard is set by the
> list moderator, I'm not sure how one can really have any basis upon
> which to presume what posting style is preferred on a given email
> list...
Thanks Jim, I was just about to start a new thread to try to express
just what you posted.

I have no problem with people asking others to not top post, hijack
threads, trim quotes etc, as long as they also try to help with the
questions that are asked.

I actually prefer reading top posts in some cases (why scroll through a
very long message / log file just to read a short reply). (I don't use
threading features so I don't know what I'm missing).

What really bothers me is those who hijack a thread just to tell people
not to hijack threads, or to complain about other netiquette
infringements without also trying to help with the questions that have
been asked. Its a waste of bandwidth and my time.

A lot of people on this list are new, there are going to be repeated
questions, top posts, hijacked threads, cc errors. The people on this
list are a great technical resource. I believe it would be more useful
if those who have no input relative to the question or subject matter
gave their keyboards a rest. Let those with relevant input regarding
the question take the lead in nudging the offenders in the direction of
the one true way.

Thanks for your time

- --
dh