Re: [SLE] text to voice
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 02:49:12 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2004-01-02 at 15:03 +1030, Matthew Smith wrote:

> > What is festival? I can't find any docs or file about it in SuSE - and I'm
> > offline right now, can't google it ;-)
> >
> Festival comes from the University of Edinburgh (where they have the Edinburgh
> Festival ;-) and is based on the Edinburgh Speech Tools Library. You can find
> details at <http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/speech_tools/>

I found it out soon after asking, and I downloaded it - I wonder why SuSE
doesn't include it? - I still haven't tried to compile it; version 1.4.3:
January 2003, acording to the web page:

aREADME-1-4.3-RELEASE
festival-1.4.3-release.tar.gz
festlex_CMU.tar.gz
festlex_POSLEX.tar.gz
festvox_ellpc11k.tar.gz
festvox_kallpc16k.tar.gz
speech_tools-1.2.3-release.tar.gz

> I have been doing my tests using Perl and XSLT to convert well-formed XHTML Web
> pages into the Sable speech markup language that Festival understands.
>
> Although I haven't spent much time on it (I'm hoping to get funding), my initial
> trials were very promising, including a small Perl programme that could ftp the
> weather forecast from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology and then read it to me...

Ah, sounds interesting :-)

> Throughout my development process, I've run Festival under Suse 8.1 and 8.2 with
> no problems. A couple of people have reported problems compiling the Speech
> Tools part, so I'm just compiling it all again on 9.0; no errors compiling
> Speech Tools, but when I come to compile Festival, the same error shows. I
> think, however, I have found the source of the error and have fixed it by
> renaming a header file and leaving a blank on in it's place.

Could you be more specific? It would save me trouble :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

< Previous Next >