Re: [SLE] text to voice
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 03:31:45 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2004-01-02 at 08:36 +1030, Matthew Smith wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Is there a program that can convert text to voice?
> >
> > Even better, use the PC loudspeaker, instead of the soundcard?
> >
> > I think I remember some one mentioning a speaking clock :-?
> >
> Hi Carlos
>
> Does this need to be something for which there is a SuSE RPM or are you happy
> about doing a bit of compiling yourself?

Doesn't matter. An rpm is faster, but it doesn't matter if I have to
compile something - I do that quite often.

> Since it could be done with a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, I guess that it is
> theoretically possible to create speech through the system speaker.

Some old games did it on Dos, so it is possible - even with 8 Mhz cpus.
No, I must be mistaken: I think it was recorded voice.

Some one even played music using a pin printer!

> It may well
> have been done. However, all of the TTS (Text to Speech) systems of which I am
> aware utilise the system sound server (Alsa, etc.)

It's far easier. But perhaps using recorded sounds things like a talking
clock can be done using the speaker.

Somewhere I read about a sound driver for Linux using the internal
speaker, but I never could try it. I could use it for my system warnings,
instead of using the soundcard that might be busy, or the speakers could
be powered off.

> I am developing an accessible kiosk <http://www.tivis.net.au> which uses the
> Festival system for text-to-speech work.

I'll have a look. :-)

> Please feel free to contact me off-list if you would like to discuss your
> application - I will see what I can do to help.

Nothing in particular - I'm just thinking of simple things like playing
some messages from a cron job, or from a script, to remind to do
something. Nothing serious.

I suddenly remembered that when I bought my first sound card some years
ago (a sound blaster) it had a program that could read ascii files and
read them aloud (and I think not only in English, but I'm not sure) so I
wondered if there was anything similar in Linux.

What is festival? I can't find any docs or file about it in SuSE - and I'm
offline right now, can't google it ;-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson