install suse 8.0 and have an embarrassed esktop interface KDE forever (NOT SOLVED YET)
  • From: Adagilson Batista Bispo da Silva <adagilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:58:31 -0200
Hello friends,
I set my *shared memory size* to just 4 MB and the "shadows" is gone.
THE PROBLEM: I have *just 4 MB* (from 256 available) for my video card (onboard — I´m using a pcchis m598lmr). My BIOS can't reserve more than 8MB. Although, 8 MB left "shadows over my desktop" (artifacts according Silviu, see:
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2003-Jul/1658.html
and to see how it was with 8MB:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/Adagilson/shadowsOfAppsOverMydesktop.png
...How could I solve this question?
thanks for any help
a.

PS--BTW (I'm missing with the truth) install suse 8.0! it's very good :)

As I can't free more

Adagilson B B da Silva wrote:
> Hello Silviu, good-morning
> You're right: i meant it is leaving "puzzled" shadows over my desktop.
> sorry, for my portuguenglish :)
> I have an onboard mobo (m598lmr pcchips) with SIS530. It works fine for
> win98, winme, winxp, etc.

Hmm, it doesn't have any reason not to work with XFree too... Perform
that upgrade, and if that doesn't solve it, try with another vertical
refresh. Or try relaxing the memory parameters in BIOS, considering
your video chip uses a part of the main system memory, maybe it's not
fast enough.

--
Silviu Marin-Caea Systems Engineer Linux/Unix http://www.genesys.ro
Phone +40723-267961