Re: [SLE] Fetchmail/Procmail with mixed IMAP/POP3
  • From: Gary <gv-dated-1493700.jbpcj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:42:57 -0600
On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 06:54:49PM +0100 or thereabouts, Nick Selby wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 December 2003 15:24, praisetazio wrote:
> > Alle 19:12, lunedì 15 dicembre 2003, Nick Selby ha scritto:
> > > Right,
> > > That was indeed the question. But in the man fetchmail it says,
> > >
> > > "The fetchmail program can gather mail from servers sup­porting any
> > > of the common mail-retrieval protocols: POP2, POP3, IMAP2bis, IMAP4, and
> > > IMAPrev1."
> > >
> > > Regarding which type of IMAP, man fetchmail says,
> > >
> > > IMAP IMAP2bis, IMAP4, or IMAP4rev1 (fetchmail autodetects their
> > > capabilities).
> > >
> > > So, Is the deal that fetchmail can "gather" the mail from my IMAP server
> > > but once it has gathered it and delivered it to procmail, it's deleted
> > > from the server? Can anyone suggest some more documentaiton I can have a
> > > look at (or, if you're up for it, just explain to me how the heck this is
> > > supposed to work? )?
> >
> > man fetchmail.
> > If you use fetchmail -keep messages are not deleted from the server, if
> > that is what you want.

> Thanks. However I am looking to also delete messages from the server when they
> are deleted locally; basically I am getting the sense that IMAP won't be
> fully functional if fetchmail sits between the IMAP server and my mail
> client/?

That is correct. IMAP is designed to leave meesages on the server, where
POP3 is designed to download your mail from the server. IMAP protocol
calls for a 2 step process for deletion of mail, it is first marked for
deletion, and then it must be expunged, If it is not expunged, it truly is
not deleted, but just marked for deletion. I am sure this is not done
using fetchmail, as there is no mechanism for expungement. It is done by
using a MUA that supports IMAP, e.g. Kmail, Mutt, Mulberry, etc..

Please see the IMAP RFC 2060, starting with section 2.3.1.2 and 4.x

--
Gary
Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done