Re: [SLE] Fetchmail/Procmail with mixed IMAP/POP3
  • From: Gary <gv-dated-1403337.gjmlf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:26:59 -0600
On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 05:48:16PM +0100 or thereabouts, Nick Selby wrote:
,
> I am running Fetchmail to grab mail from two accounts; one is an IMAP
> account
> and one a POP3 account. Once I get it from fetchmail, it gets sent to
> procmail, which then does what it does and forwards the messages to the
> appropriate user mailbox.

> Has that just destroyed the IMAP-ness of the mail fetched from the IMAP
> account?

no. POP3 and IMAP are services.. that's all. If you are using fetchmail,
you are using it as POP3, not IMAP.

> How can I make my MUA (KMAIL) see that this is IMAP mail and
> synchronize with the server?

You have to set up Kmail for 2 specific services, even if it is the same
mail account, one being POP3, and the other being IMAP(S).

> Sorry if this is vague, and thanks in advance

yes, you did not specify what IMAP server you are using, if in fact you
are using a server.. .

Do you have these services running on your machine, or do you go outside,
e.g. another commerical account like myrealbox.com ?

IMAP and POP3 can be used for the same mail account, you just have to set
up your MUA for both type services... an IMAP service will add some
individual files, e.g. uidvalidity, subscribed, and cache files, but that
will just be there. POP3 will not read these files, and just download your
email..

--
Gary
Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done