Service bogus failures in 9.0 ?!
  • From: Alex Daniloff <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:03:56 -0800
Hello SuSE folkz,
I've compiled linux-2.6.0-test11 kernel
from the plain source.
I did install latest modutils-init from
Rusty's directory on kernel.org
Everything works just fine and hunky dory.
However, I see that during bootup SuSE reports
that some services are failing - e.g. sshd, syslog,
cups, cron, xdm, and some others.
When I check these services after complete boot up
with ps -ef|grep 'service name' they all are running
fine as usual, and /var/log/warn or /var/log/messages
files don't have any warning messages in them.
So, these service failure messages are bogus ones.
When I boot with SuSE shipped kernel 2.4.21-99
I don't see any failure messages.
Could it be that ether start and stop numbers in /etc/init.d
for these services are wrong, or something else?

Many thanks in advance for any clarifications on this issue.

Alex