Re: [SLE] Computer can't keep time
  • From: Donn aka n5xwb Washburn <n5xwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:11:59 -0600
Steve Allen wrote:
I've noticed in the last month or two that my computer clock starts to lag behind the real time. This is a fairly new computer, so I don't think it's an issue with the batteries.

I had xntpd installed, and when I'd run /etc/init.d/xntpd restart, it'd set the time correctly. Then within 5 or 10 minutes, it'd start to lag behind again. After a day or so, it'd be behind by around 30 minutes. I disabled xntpd, thinking that had something to do with it. Unfortunately, it still loses time within a matter of minutes.

The weird thing is, when I click on the KDE clock and reset the time, it fills in the CORRECT time automatically. It's as if it knows the correct time, but won't display it. Very weird--this almost sounds like some kind of insidious virus or something. Anybody have any clues?

SAME THING HERE! I mentioned this about a week ago and it seems that it is/was due to a SuSE upgrade. I absolutely set the time to US_Chicago and "localtime" not UTC.
However, if I set the time via the internet or manually it is reset back 6 hours when I shutdown the machine. Reboot and the time is off by 6 hours.

This is likely noticable by the time this email was sent (time here is 19:10:45

--
73 de Donn Washburn __ " http://www.hal-pc.org/~n5xwb "
Ham Callsign N5XWB / / __ __ __ __ __ __ __