Computer can't keep time
  • From: Steve Allen <steveallen17@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:13:48 -0500
I've noticed in the last month or two that my computer clock starts to lag
behind the real time. This is a fairly new computer, so I don't think it's
an issue with the batteries.

I had xntpd installed, and when I'd run /etc/init.d/xntpd restart, it'd set
the time correctly. Then within 5 or 10 minutes, it'd start to lag behind
again. After a day or so, it'd be behind by around 30 minutes. I disabled
xntpd, thinking that had something to do with it. Unfortunately, it still
loses time within a matter of minutes.

The weird thing is, when I click on the KDE clock and reset the time, it fills
in the CORRECT time automatically. It's as if it knows the correct time, but
won't display it. Very weird--this almost sounds like some kind of insidious
virus or something. Anybody have any clues?

< Previous Next >