Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.0 and VmWare 4.05, Do I have it right?
  • From: Kenneth Schneider <suselist@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 07:05:16 -0500
On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 01:42, John Andersen wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2003 11:58, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > Be advised that I just heard from another user of VMware (my VMware
> > mentor - or is that tor-mentor) and he also says that acpi=off is a
> > necessity....
>
> So what your saying is, that those uf us who have machines that
> require acpi to get all the periferals to work (most modern laptops)
> just have to accept the disappearance of sound, pcmcia, network
> cards, usb ports, etc in order to run Vmware?
>
> I think you have your acronyms mixed up, or your friend is
> pulling your leg.

I have a Compaq laptop that was giving me fits with sound and vmware. I
finally added the pci=noacpi apic parameters to the boot string and now
I have sound and can run vmware. Prior to that if I tried to configure
sound the machine would lock solid instantly and vmware would always
give an error when trying to launch it.

Hope this helps someone.

--
Ken Schneider