Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.0 and VmWare 4.05, Do I have it right?
  • From: Kenneth Schneider <suselist@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 07:05:16 -0500
On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 01:42, John Andersen wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2003 11:58, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > Be advised that I just heard from another user of VMware (my VMware
> > mentor - or is that tor-mentor) and he also says that acpi=off is a
> > necessity....
> So what your saying is, that those uf us who have machines that
> require acpi to get all the periferals to work (most modern laptops)
> just have to accept the disappearance of sound, pcmcia, network
> cards, usb ports, etc in order to run Vmware?
> I think you have your acronyms mixed up, or your friend is
> pulling your leg.

I have a Compaq laptop that was giving me fits with sound and vmware. I
finally added the pci=noacpi apic parameters to the boot string and now
I have sound and can run vmware. Prior to that if I tried to configure
sound the machine would lock solid instantly and vmware would always
give an error when trying to launch it.

Hope this helps someone.

Ken Schneider
unix user since 1989