Re: [SLE] KDE Hidden Menu
  • From: Stan Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:13:03 -0600
And I quote from the SUSE 9.0 Release Notes:

"XDG Menu Structure

As of version 9.0, the menu system of KDE and Gnome is based on the XDG
standard. The configuration files are distributed to fewer directories.
Administrators can easily adapt the menu structure for their users by editing
the XML file /etc/xdg/menus/application.menu. The new structure is the result
of a backport from the upcoming KDE version 3.2. The included KDE version
features XDG support, which was backported from KDE 3.2. Furthermore, menu
branches are automatically condensed if a submenu only contains one entry.
This characteristic can be deactivated with /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/
kickerrc:ReduceMenuDepth."

What I did to get all of my menu entries to show again was what Vitaly
suggests: "BTW: if you have problems, kill your ~/.kde/tmp-*/sycoca, and
relogin. i noticed that it helps sometimes. " Or the radical alternative is
to delete in /tmp all your userid settings, relogin and start messing with
your menus. Same difference.

Grand idea to unify all menus within Linux. We have to have this so switching
window managers is more painless. I see it as a must have to ease the
transition from Windows or Gnome or KDE or Fvwm to whichever.

Just have to work the bugs out.

Such as the one where if there is only one entry in a sub-menu it gets
collapsed to the next higher menu level as a single menu entry. It inherits
the name of the sub-menu heading instead of the menu entry. Personal nit to
pick perhaps.

Stan

< Previous Next >