Re: [SLE] KDE Hidden Menu
  • From: Vitaly Shishakov <shift@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:15:50 +0300
Well, recently, i've been messing with my KDE menu once again,
and here iswhat i have found.

they do not use the ususal menu structure as a set of .desktop files in
Directories. Instead, they use special XML schemas that define the menu
structure. -- look at XML files in your /opt/kde3/share/applnk
(they are named as .menu) which use those .desktop files
and you have your local menu definition in ~/.config/menu/
which is edited when you call KDE menu editor.

somhow it can honor the entries in your ~/.kde/share/applnk entries,
i think it happens during your login.

BTW: if you have problems, kill your ~/.kde/tmp-*/sycoca, and relogin.
i noticed that it helps sometimes.

All the above is going to be defualt in KDE 3.2, i believe, SuSE 9.1,
whenever it will be out.

BTW: GNOME uses the same menu entries!

On Monday 03 November 2003 08:51, Fred Miller wrote:
> On Sunday 02 November 2003 5:07 pm, Richard Bos wrote:

> > > <SNIP>
> > >
> > > Right clicking and selecting the menu-editor, there isn't an unhide
> > > button on the toolbar.
> > >
> > > Is there a setting missing perhaps?
> >
> > I'm puzzled by this one as well. If I open kmenuedit there are a
> > whole bunch of applications that are not shown in kmenu. Kmenu used
> > to be a representation of the directory /opt/kde3/share/applnk, but it
> > seems different now. In suse-9 there is e.g.
> > /opt/kde3/share/applnk/Applications/ korganizer.desktop, but
> > korganizer does not appear in any of kmenu's submenu's, even not in
> > kmenuedit. On the other hand kmenuedit shows menu entries for the
> > submenu Applications but none of these are show in kmenu.
> >
> > How does kmenu work nowadays??
>
> If you figure it out, let me know - will ya?! There's NO WAY to get all
> of the entries in kmenu to show up, that I've found!
>
> Fred
>
> --
> "...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
> the Ugly)."

< Previous Next >