YOU don't work (online-update can't contact server)
  • From: Hemo <hemo-sle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:33:00 -0500 (CDT)

I miss the little green lizard (chameleon) head in my task bar. It has
been this ugly yellow hue for far too long.

YOU works logged in under root, but under my account I've been getting
this message in the log:
--
online_update -k
Error while requesting servers: ERROR(You:Error writing youservers file.)

I think I've looked everywhere I could and hadn't solved this. I created
a new user an YOU works for the new user, so I closed X, and through
console deleted the file $HOME/.kde/share/config/susewatcherrc and
the directory $HOME/.kde/share/apps/susewatcher. When I re-enabled X and
logged in, the green chameleon was back! but only shortly. It soon turns
yellow and stays yellow with the same error message in the log file.

If I run 'online_update -k' from the command line, it fails with the same
error message as I've shown above.

I seen reference in the archives that others have had this problem at one
point or another, but I've yet to find any resources that might explain
how to correct it.

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

--- Pine v4.5.3 --- SuSE Linux Pro v8.2 ---
Registered Linux User #201684 Machine # 214067
Running Madly Into The Wind And Screaming