Re: [SLE] Epson Perfection
  • From: Michael Sacco <msacco01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:50:28 -0400
On Saturday 27 September 2003 04:02 am, Andre Truter wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 02:20, David Johanson wrote:
> --<snip>--
>
> > USB with the %500 42 bit 1640SU being the only SCSI model. So perhaps I
> > should reword my question along the lines of has anyone had success
> > running these USB scanners under Linux. I'm certain it would be somewhat
> > difficult with this 7.3 box, but moving to an 8.2 or newer box very
> > shortly and it's with that system that I'll be running the Epson.
> > Whichever model I do finally select, it has to do 35 mm slides well or it
> > won't make it into the system
>
> I have an Epson Perfection 610 USB (a few years old) and it works 100%
> with SuSE.
> This is actually the best plug `n play that I have ever seen (Including
> on Windows)
> I connected it to the USB port and A window popped up telling me that
> the scanner has been detected and if I want to configure it. Yast's
> scanner tool popped up and it worked perfectly with all the defaults.
> This was SuSE 8.0 IIRC.

---<snip>---

Previously I had bought a new HP (3790c I think). It wasn't supported under
linux, and in windows it seemed to run fine. Then I saw the Epson Perfection
2400 on sale and bought that and returned the HP, since the epson _is_
supported under linux. It was like going to a whole other world! The HP was
so loud that people could hear it scanning over my phone! The Epson model is
quiet with amazing quality, and _much_ better software for windows and it
offers software for linux. It was plug and play with SuSE 8.2 connected via
usb. An awesome scanner. As for HP...NO COMPARISON!

OK, who's gonna send me my commission? :)

Mike Sacco