Re: [SLE] amd athlon kernel
  • From: H du Plooy <linuser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:27:15 +0200
On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 04:03, Alex Doll wrote:
> I run an Athlon 2.2 GHz machine - only difference versus the older Intel
> machines is the chip needs more cooling. I pulled the case off to give it
> better circulation, and the fan noise is rather more than I was used to. If
> you don't mind having a wind turbine under your desk, then Athlon is fine.
>
> Just hope I don't spill any coffee....
>
> -AD

How old is "older" - my Athlon also require more cooling that my "older"
intel. But that intel was a PII core celeron 500, which offered
pathetic performance (even compared to my current "second machine" P-II
300 and the K6-2 500 I had before).

Current P4 need just as much cooling. In fact, from what I read on
tomshardware, the high end P4 chips actually give off more heat than the
Athlons.

The biggest increase in noise I got when moving from the celeron to the
Athlon comes from the power supply - it seems to be working a lot harder
than before!

Hans

< Previous Next >