Re: [SLE] amd athlon kernel
  • From: Jack Alderson <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:44:02 -0500
On Monday 22 September 2003 12:58, fsanta wrote:

<snip>

> Are there any strong reasons not to go with AMD rather than Intel? Are
> there any reliabilty issues? Financially AMD makes lot of sense and we are
> thinking of 18 new boxes like mine for our school lan which would be as it
> is now: 100% SuSE 8.2. We can pick up the boxes for Euros 400 whereas an
> PIV 2.4 is over Euros 600. Any other long term AMD users here?
> Cheers, Steve.

Hello Steve,

I have been using an AMD-based machine here at work for 4 years with
absolutely NO problems or crashes. My workstation/server runs 24/7/365 and
has never crashed. Given how heavily I use it that's quite an accomplishment.

I use it as a development workstation for C, C++, Perl, HTML; it runs Apache
webserver; runs as a MySQL database server for my automation software; runs
my automation software; runs as a backup server for Suns, Dec Alphas, NT
servers and equipment; and I use it to administer all of the above systems.
It has been more stable than the Sun Enterprise server.

I will say that I built this box to run SuSE Linux exclusively. Therefore, I
purchased equipment that was certified to work with SuSE Linux 7.0 at the
time. I ran SuSE 7.0 Professional on it for 3 years without any crashes. The
message log was clean with no errors, meaning the system was very compatible
with the hardware I chose. Nearly 3 months ago, (due to a bug in PartED that
scrambled my inodes) I upgraded to SuSE 8.2 and the system has been running
just as stable with it.

My work system:

AMD 800MHz Thunderbird
Asus A7V KT133 motherboard
Mitsumi 42X CD-ROM
768 Meg Infineon SDRAM non-ECC
ATI 8meg PCI All-In-Wonder video
Quantum IDE HDs (1-20G, 2-30G)
Allied Telesyn 10/100 NIC
Good quality Thermaltake CPU heatsink/fan
Teac 1.44 floppy

My home AMD system is older but heavily overclocked. It runs very stable as
well. It has SCSI HDs, wireless NIC and 10/100 NIC, runs Apache, MySQL,
Sendmail, DNS, Proxy, ect... It only runs at 400MHz. (It's max cpu speed was
only suppose to be a 233 Pentium. I found some special tweeks).

Jack A.

< Previous Next >