3Ware raid card question....ya, another one.
  • From: Tom Nielsen <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:32:03 -0700
I got my card in and working. I'm currently booting and running my
system off the drive that is connected to the card. I have a second,
blank drive connected to the card as well waiting to have a mirror image
put on it. My problem is this, I go into the card bios on boot and see
my two drives. I mark them both and then click on 'create array'. At
this point a message pops up saying "creating an array will remove data
from your drives." I get scared and abort.

Am I wrong in thinking that creating an array (raid 1) should not remove
my data from the drive on port 0 but should on port 1? Am I going to
lose data on port 0 by creating this array? If so, why? That seems a bit
silly.

I ask because the manual does really say what's going to happen and
appears to be a bit generic.

Thanks,
Tom
--