Re: [SLE] New Microphone and WebCam
  • From: zentara <zentara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:12:56 -0400
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:09:55 +0100
Chris Pugh <Chris.Pugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I am trying to prove to various people that they can run an effective basic
>videoconferencing utility they can use linux and gnomemeeting. However, I
>am having problems with getting various bits set up.
>
>I have plugged my microphone in and the webcam. In YAST2 when I select HW
>info, it lists the correct USB Cam that I have, but I can't get xawtv to
>even start (it says /dev/video0 no such device).

A bunch of modules need to be loaded for video.:
zentara:/home/zentara/1down # lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
tuner 10208 0 (autoclean) (unused)
bttv 69120 1 (autoclean)
i2c-algo-bit 7560 0 (autoclean) [bttv]
i2c-core 13540 0 (autoclean) [tuner bttv i2c-algo-bit]
videodev 6208 3 (autoclean) [bttv]

Additionally if it's a USB cam you have to have hotplug started,
"rchotplug start"

You also will need an entry in modules.conf.
Mine has:
# YaST2 configured TV card
# WL76.ei6eMzKDZY3:Bt848 Video Capture
alias char-major-81-0 bttv

>When I try a basic "rec -d /dev/dsp myfile.wav" it appears to record, but
>with no sound on playback.
>I have looked at volume control and the Mic is set up to rec.
>If I just speak into the mic without anything running, I can hear myself(!)

Try "alsamixergui", there are a couple of settings for MIC, try turning on the +20db boost.