Re: [SLE] "Failed" message in startup
  • From: del <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:06:10 +0100
On Saturday 30 Aug 2003 12:46, Bill Wisse wrote:
> On Friday 29 August 2003 22:10, Andreas Winkelmann wrote:
> > Bill Wisse wrote:
> > > Today I restarted my SuSE 8.2 box and a red message came up :
> > > "'failed". I looked in the startup log and below you can see the
> > > result. Although there seems to be nothing wrong , I'm still
> > > curious to find out what and why this message came up.
> > > Anybody an idea?
> >
> > This is from hdparm. It looks like, you're starting it
> > automatically while booting, but with wrong arguments. Maybe
> > /etc/init.d/boot.local ?
> >
> > --
> > Andreas
>
> Ok thanks for that.
> Just recently I have changed DMA to "on", manually by putting on
> between the quotation marks.
> Can this have anything to do with it?
> I haven't changed anything in the boot process ( not that I know of
> anyway). I also have used "hdparm -v /dev/dvd" and then "hdparm -X
> <udma mode> -d 1 /dev/dvd.
> Could it be that the udma mode is set wrong?

Try to set DMA for the DVD with yast2, watch for errors in the message
log with tail -f, you won't need to reboot to check if it's worked. (Or
use alt+F10.) Keep trying the different settings, the default setting
works on this PC but on another machine DMA66 works. The other machine
has a new Asus DVD which supports UDMA100 but the mobo only goes up to
66.
Somewhere in Yast there is a boot.idedma setting, in runlevel
properties, should be set as B.
Also check that the BIOS has enabled DMA for the DVD.

Not meaning any disrespect to the advice from Andreas, which has just
arrived while writing this, but I would see what Yast can do for you
first of all before trying to manualy edit startup files.
--
del suse-linux-e