making print screen button work-- a howto
  • From: zentara <zentara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:45:29 -0400
Well someone asked a good question this morning,
how to make the print screen key capture a screen shot.

This what I did with fvwm2, and it's pretty neat.

Get xbindkeys from
http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html

It builds very easy with configure,make, make install.

Then run "xbindkeys --key"
A little window will pop up asking you to hit a key, hit the
Print Screen Key, and and little window will open to show you the code
to enter into the .xbindkeysrc file

"NoCommand "
m:0x0 + c:111
Print

Cut and paste that into your .xbindkeysrc file and change it to
something like this:

"import -window root `date +%d%b%y%H%M%S`.jpg "
m:0x0 + c:111
Print Screen

That will drop a date-labeled jpg into your homedir everytime you hit
the Print Screen button.

Then just figure out a way to automatically start xbindkeys when you startx.
Many methods are available.

If you want to get clever, you could probably work out a command to actually
send it to the printer....or you could just assign that to another key using the above
method.

  • No further messages