Re: [SLE] nVidia
  • From: Paul Cooke <pc005b5848@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:28:10 +0100
On Wednesday 13 August 2003 7:42 am, Gerhard den Hollander wrote:
> * Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:53:38AM
> +0100)
>
> > The SuSE shipped (boxed) kernel was compiled with an earlier gcc, so
> > if you update to gcc-3.3-43, /var/log/nvidia-installer.log will tell you
> > your kernel was not compiled with the gcc you currently have.
>
> Even if you have a kernel that is compiled with the correct gcc this will
> fail.
> The trick the nvidia makefile uses to catch the gcc version number fails:
>
> % gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) (SuSE Linux)
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
>
> % cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.4.20nfs (root@hyperion) (gcc version 3.3 20030226
> (prerelease) (SuSE Linux)) #2 SMP Thu Jul 10 13:49:42 CEST 2003
>

> setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH to some value prevents this
>
> % cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
> NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-4496 Wed Jul 16
> 19:03:09 PDT 2003
> GCC version: gcc version 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) (SuSE Linux)

the nvidia HOWTO on the SuSE site has changed in the last couple of weeks (wow
it was changed this morning... what a coincidence) or so to include the
following text:

2) Use the nvidia installer.

export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

but what it doesn't tell you to do is that to run the nVidia installer you
must not have X running and must be in either runlevel three or else have
booted up into "safe mode" for a console session. All the steps upto "sh
NVIDIA-Linux-xxxxx.run" can be done in "normal" mode, that one can't. You
must then execute SaX2 whilst in console mode as well.

> > The only solution is to recompile the kernel, reboot with option
> > "init 3", then the NVidia kernel will build and install.
> > Regards
> > Sid.
> >
> > Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > >The latest nVidia driver that one is to install from nVidia after the
> > >kernel update just posted and installed by YOU, is NOT usable and WON'T
> > >install!! I hope SuSE is working on this, as 3D is "GONE" because of
> > > this error. Some have very slow systems now.
> > >
> > >Fred
>
> Kind regards,
> --
> Gerhard den Hollander Phone :+31-10.280.1515
> ICT manager Direct:+31-10.280.1539
> Jason Geosystems BV Fax :+31-10.280.1511
> gdenhollander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx POBox 1573
> visit us at http://www.Fugro-Jason.com 3000 BN Rotterdam
> JASON.......#1 in Reservoir Characterization The Netherlands
> This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
> addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
> privileged.

< Previous Next >