Re: [SLE] nVidia
  • From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:42:23 +0200
* Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:53:38AM +0100)
> The SuSE shipped (boxed) kernel was compiled with an earlier gcc, so
> if you update to gcc-3.3-43, /var/log/nvidia-installer.log will tell you
> your kernel was not compiled with the gcc you currently have.

Even if you have a kernel that is compiled with the correct gcc this will
fail.
The trick the nvidia makefile uses to catch the gcc version number fails:

% gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) (SuSE Linux)

% cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.20nfs (root@hyperion) (gcc version 3.3 20030226
(prerelease) (SuSE Linux)) #2 SMP Thu Jul 10 13:49:42 CEST 2003

setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH to some value prevents this

% cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-4496 Wed Jul 16
19:03:09 PDT 2003
GCC version: gcc version 3.3 20030226 (prerelease) (SuSE Linux)

> The only solution is to recompile the kernel, reboot with option
> "init 3", then the NVidia kernel will build and install.
> Regards
> Sid.
>
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
> >The latest nVidia driver that one is to install from nVidia after the
> >kernel update just posted and installed by YOU, is NOT usable and WON'T
> >install!! I hope SuSE is working on this, as 3D is "GONE" because of this
> >error. Some have very slow systems now.
> >
> >Fred

Kind regards,
--
Gerhard den Hollander Phone :+31-10.280.1515
ICT manager Direct:+31-10.280.1539