Problem solved: Installing MPlayer -- thanks to so many for your help
My MPlayer is finally playing the .wmv file!

Thanks to the SuSE list to everyone who replied to my inquiry, especially, to:

Pat
Richard (earthlink)
Richard (Netherlands)
Ralph
Hans
Charles
James

You guys are all great. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. In
the end the problem was that I did not have two rpms:

libdvdcss2-1.2.8-0.pm.1.i686.rpm
libdvdcss2-devel-1.2.8-0.pm.1.i686.rpm

I was apparently (unknowingly) trying to use an "nosrc" rpm for libdvdcss2
that needed to be compiled. I don't even want to know what that means! :o)

Fortunately Pat sent me the two files and I installed them along with the
MPlayer and Skins (using a shell rather than with Yast). The 4 rpms all
installed. Then I ran /sbin/SuSEconfig and: MAGIC!! :o)

Yes, it's a miracle. Again, thanks to all the great folks on this list. Thanks
for your patience and thanks for trying to direct me to all sorts of great
sites for collecting SuSE rpms.
Gil

  • No further messages