Re: [SLE] problems installing RPMs for MPlayer -- your help greatly appreciated
** Reply to message from Richard <ratcheson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Sat, 2 Aug 2003
01:06:21 -0500

> On Friday 01 August 2003 07:47 pm, Gil Weber wrote:
> > Hi, everyone. I been having a terrible time trying to get MPlayer to play a
> > video clip that's in .wmv format. When I try to play the clip I get an
> > error message from MPlayer that says: "Sorry this file format is not
> > recognized/supported ==== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream please
> > contact the author!"
> >
> > Using the shell I obtained the file using the wget command along with the
> > URL.
> >
> > MPlayer does play mpegs without problem.
> >
> > I'm also having problems trying to install some RPMs that I've been told
> > will enhance MPlayer and allow it to decode other types of files. Forgive
> > me if I have the terminology wrong, but I believe these are called codecs.
> > I have been able to install 16 of the files but not the following 5:
> >
> > 1) ffmpeg-0.4.6-2.pm.1.i586.rpm
> > 2) gxine-0.3.3-0.pm.0.i686.rpm
> > 3) kaffeine-0.3.2-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
> > 4) kdemultimedia3-video.rpm
> > 5) kxine-cvs-200305110026.i586.rpm
> >
> > I have tried using Yast to install the files but I get various error
> > messages. Some of them tell me that items are missing or there are
> > conflicts. For example the following are "missing":
> >
> > 1) imlib2
> > 2) libavcodec.so
> > 3) libImlib2.so.1
> > 4) libxine1
> >
> > What are these missing elements and where can I find them so that these
> > RPMs will then install?
> >
> > Any help you can provide this newbie would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks!
> > Gil
>
> Gil, where did you get the rpm's you are installing? Have you looked at
> packman yet? I found most of what I needed at:
> http://packman.links2linux.de/index.php4?action=128
> At the bottom of the screen are the additionally binary packages you will
> need to get most of Mplayer working.
>
> I am able to view wmv files but on some I get the same message you get. The
> only thing I can deduce is that there is something amiss with some of the
> files.
>
> BTW, a lot of the stuff on packman is listed in German but so far the stuff I
> have installed uses English. Packman is a great place to find stuff for
> SuSE.
>
> Richard

Richard, thanks. Yes, that is where I got all my files -- 2 binaries and 7
"codecs." Installed them a week ago, and reinstalled when file would not play.
But still the .wmv file won't run. I am stumped.
Gil