Re: [SLE] Netgear MA401 WiFi
  • From: "Anthony Gunia" <gunia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:05:17 -0500
I have one of these in an old PII/233mhz maching running SuSE 8.2, and it works great! I didn't have to do a thing...SuSE just picked it up upon installation, unlike RH which was a real pain in the ass. I did check on the chipset, and it's a Prism, so you might want to give those drivers a try. I had to use these drivers as well on RH. Good luck!

Jay Vollmer said:
> Is there anything special that needs to be done to get SuSE 8.2 Pro to
> recognise a Netgear MA401 WiFi card?
> I'm using external PCMCIA and the card is not being recognized;
> I get "beep-boop" rather than "beep-beep."

I'm using one of these cards, it worked well on 8.1 and was automatically
recognised. However on 8.2 it was being detected as a WLAN NG compatible
card rather than using the native Orinoco driver that works fine.

Firstly I'm using Kernel rather than external PCMCIA that should hopefully
fix the "beep-boop" problem.

I then followed the SuSE guide for getting wireless cards to work:

Have a look at the troubleshooting section, make sure you bind the orinoco
driver to the the unique entry you require for your card.

David Bottrill

Also check the archives at

  • No further messages