Re: [SLE] KNOPPIX changed HOSTNAME
  • From: Terry Milnes <neofax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 23:04:27 -0700
Paul Benjamin wrote:

Ok I think I have it figured out, after playing around with my home LAN I think that I reproduced your problem. Normally SuSE doesn't send it's name to the DHCP sever in your router. So it just shows up as unknown, at least it does on mine. But apparently Knoppix sends it's name when it request a IP address. The router stuck the Knoppix name in it's host list in the DHCP server.
You must have SuSE set up to "Change host name via DHCP" in the Yast2->Network Services->DNS and Host Name. So the next time SuSE requested an IP address from the router's DHCP sever it said "oh, I know that network card" and it gave you the same address that it gave you when you booted under Knoppix. Since SuSE didn't reset the host name when it requested the address the router gave you the name it had in it's host table associated with that IP address.
SuSE says "oh, my sysop said use the name that the router gives me" so it changes it's host name to Knoppix. You are confused, I am confused, the only ones that aren't is the router and SuSE.
So the fix is either change the host name in your router's DHCP table or reboot both SuSE and the router. Hey I learned something about routers anyway how about you? ;-)

pben