Re: [SLE] [OT] Latest nmap cans SCO (Unixware)
  • From: Curtis Rey <crrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:53:55 -0700

On Monday 16 June 2003 16:45, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:53:32 -0500
>
> Thomas Jones <thomas.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There is nothing like a community coming together for a deserving
> > cause.
>
> Agreed :-)
>
> > Tell you the truth...i'd really like to see the "Nessus
> > Security Scanner" do the same.
>
> SNORT too, let us leave them with no Open Source security tools. Hey,
> they can even market it as a new "feature" and call it Unixware XP. ;-)
>
> No matter what the outcome is, SCO as a company is toasted. They have
> destroyed all good will with their customers, the Free Software/Open
> Source community and the computer industry at large (I believe that
> their next target is HP). McBride will be looking forward to a new
> career as a used car salesman.
>
> Charles

The risk they run is a fine line between fud and criminal neglegence and
liable. Criminal neglence in the form of malfeasance to their stock holders,
and more over those that bought both Unix and Linux products and will be the
enevitable victim that are left with a product that is unsupported and a
license that may in the end be invalid.

Liable in the sense that if it is found that they have no real evidence or
that the evidence they are conviced is correct and subsequently ruled null
and void then all the statements that can be proven to have hurt sales,
clients, and business involved in/with Linux would be open to claims of
damages. McBride and company would end up broke and no prospect of an
executive position due to blaring evidence of their incompetence.

Even if they do show/prove some code was not approprraite then where did it
come from, If it came from SCO devs, the point is mute, if it was readily
accessible and they took less than needed precautions to secure it, the point
is mute. Eitherway, the more this goes on the less it seems that SCO has
anything of substance. And their FUD may very likely turn and bite them in
the arse.

Just MHO.

Curtis.

< Previous Next >