Re: [SLE] Microsoft Vs. Linux Desktop Battle Heats Up
  • From: Nick LeRoy <nleroy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:36:07 -0500
On Tuesday 10 June 2003 3:08 pm, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op dinsdag 10 juni 2003 21:56, schreef Nick LeRoy:
> > I guess the real issue is that each application typically comes with
> > their own fancy installer, and doesn't take advantage of these
> > capabilities. How do we get them to use the standard tools. I guess
> > there's still an issue with .deb vs. .rpm, etc. Sigh.
>
> Nick,
>
> apt is available for many distros already, including Debian (of course),
> RH, SuSE, Lindows, and some more. rpms can be converted with "alien" to
> .deb pkgs. However, the Linux Standard Base specifies rpm as standard pkg.
>
> I would say there is a universal installer available. The only thing is
> that the .spec files must be adapted to each distro, as they differ in
> details (RH has rpm-4 e.g. while SuSE uses rpm-3).

I still have some doubts, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Will it truely
install things that are shipped with the "application" package if and only if
it's not already installed in a standard location? There are certainly going
to be new libraries, etc., that aren't shipped (even with SuSE) with the
distro, but are still not application specific. So, in general, I don't know
how apt could "find" it.

I want it to be able to handle it either way. I guess there are several
distinct cases:

1. Already installed. Simple.
2. Incompatible version installed
2a. apt knows how to get compatible version, installs it
2b. apt doesn't know how to get compatible version, installs the version
shipped with the application
3. Not installed
3a. apt knows how to get compatible version, installs it
3b. apt doesn't know how to get compatible version, installs the version

Can it do all of that? Can Joe Developer take his source code, do a single
"make package", and wind up with a single set of things such that _any_ user
with apt installed on their system can:

1. Insert the CDROM into their cup holder, click <install>, and sit back
2. Download a single set of files from some web site, and have the apt
interface do the right thing?

If so, then I stand *gladly* corrected. If not, we're not "there" yet. I'll
grant that we're getting close, and that apt certainly sounds like a great
tool that I need to explore, but I haven't seen any evidence that it can do
all of this _yet_. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Nick

< Previous Next >