Re: [SLE] Microsoft Vs. Linux Desktop Battle Heats Up
  • From: Nick LeRoy <nleroy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:56:19 -0500
On Tuesday 10 June 2003 1:40 pm, Jonathan Shilling wrote:
> Actually, I agree with the thought of using a separate directory for the
> libraries, but it should only be necessary when the need library cannot be
> found on the system that you are loading on.
> You are probably correct in the cause of dll-hell, however if the libraries
> were more standardized it might help as well.
> Jonathan

Yes, I know that, but I was referring to installing random application "foo"
which YaST has no idea about. You know, the type that come with their own
propriety installer that does what it wants....

And Richard Bos <radoeka@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>This is exactly what the Advanced Package Tool (apt) does. More about apt at
>http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm. The gui for apt is synaptic.

Looks cool, like it does a lot of things that I've been doing by hand for too
many years.

I guess the real issue is that each application typically comes with their own
fancy installer, and doesn't take advantage of these capabilities. How do we
get them to use the standard tools. I guess there's still an issue with .deb
vs. .rpm, etc. Sigh.

<rant>
We _need_ a standard set of these tools that _all applications_ can depend on
existing, no matter what distro you're installing on. Then, the application
developer merely ships with a single "package" file set, hands it to an
installer that does the work on it, installs what it needs to from the CDs,
internet, ether, application packages, etc., in an intelligent way, stores it
in some database, I guess, and, well, holds the user's hand along the way,
creates links for KDE, etc. While we probably have individual tools that can
do this (apt maybe? YAST?), they're not univerally available AFIK, and
that's the problem.
</rant>

-Nick