Re: [SLE] Microsoft Vs. Linux Desktop Battle Heats Up
  • From: Michael George <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:53:44 -0400
On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:40:21PM -0500, Jonathan Shilling wrote:
> Actually, I agree with the thought of using a separate directory for the
> libraries, but it should only be necessary when the need library cannot be
> found on the system that you are loading on.

This is what OSX apps can do. If there is anything app-specific, it goes into
the app directory. And to OSX, an "application" isn't an executable, but
actually that directory, Application.app.

I know that my copy of Applixware 5.0 does this: when installing, it checks
for correct versions of libraries. If they are not there, I am given the
option of opdating my system or of installing those libraries for use only
with Applixware. Because of this, I have a software package that I originally
put on RedHat in 2000 and just last month installed on SuSE 8.2 and it works
still.

> You are probably correct in the cause of dll-hell, however if the libraries
> were more standardized it might help as well.

I don't understand what you mean. libgtk is built from the same source
whether it's on RHL, Mandrake, Debian, or SuSE. I don't pretend to know
everything about linux, though, so perhaps I will learn something from your
troubles.

-Michael