Running a webserver from a home machine...how?
  • From: Tom Nielsen <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 07 Jun 2003 20:47:20 -0700
OK, I'm thinking it might be kind of cool (or keen to you EU folks) to
run my own website from home. I don't know what I would do with it yet,
but not the typical "here's my kids, here's my dog, here's our family
reunion in Death Valley, blah...blah...blah". I might start up a local
Land Rover club in my area and might choose to host it.

So, with that being said:
1) How should I do this?
2) What server app should I use?
3) What is the downside to doing this? (I don't think I'll get 500 hits
a day).
4) Will this have any effect on my system on a day to day basis?
5) I'm running a static, private IP on my machine from behind a
firewall. Problem?

Basically, I have a SMC cable router/firewall that I know how to setup.
I have a static IP from my cable company. I have a pretty good system
(processor, motherboard, memory, etc...).

Feel free to start throwing out ideas. Also, is there a really simple
way for me to do this right away? Like toss up something and see if
someone can see it?

Thanks!
Tom

Tom Nielsen