DES vs. MD5 passwords
  • From: David Krider <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 03 Jun 2003 10:15:53 -0500
I was just wondering why SuSE defaults to using "plain old" DES
encryption for passwords, instead of MD5, like most other distros. I'm
not a crypto guy. I've been meaning to get _Applied Cryptography_ for
awhile now, but I still haven't, so I don't know the difference. I just
like using a 10-place password for root. A quick Google search doesn't
turn up anything on this. Does anyone know why this is the situation?
Does anyone know why I should or shouldn't care?

Thanks,
dk

< Previous Next >