Stuck at 8.2 install and ... ??
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:48:11 +0700
Nowhere to go as to the list.
But after the install stopped and the light from the HD went of and
the cd did not show any activity any more I had nothing else to do as
playing with my keyboard.
With Ctrl Alt F3 I got following information:

After a lot of prelimaries,

Hardware probing finished
There seems to be no floppy disk
Got info from cmdline
Looking for a SuSE Linux CD
Checking CD: /dev/hdb
Found CD in /dev/hdb
Set font lat 1-16.psfu (map none)
Setting up localhost ..... done
going for automatic install
mount: /var/adm/mount/boot/root: we need a loop device
mount using /dev/loop0
rmmod usb storage
starting/mount/inst_sys/sbin/inst_setup yast

With Ctrl Alt F4 I also get some info but due to the fact that the
story runs during install and retrying I did not catch the first info
but the end is a repeat over and over from following sentences:
all preceded by - june 2:21:31:56 (none) kernel:
hdb: cdrom_decode_staus : status 0x51{DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hdb:cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30 Last Failed Sense 0x33
ATAPI reset complete

#above sentences are repeated numerous times until it stops with#

end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40(hdb),sector 1148036
lost async page write due to I/O error 03:40

I am completely lost as what is causing me these troubles.
Above info does not help me much. Sombody can make sense out of it?
Why is the install hanging after looking for a yast file?
An usb scanner is attached, two 2Meg harddisks, two floppy drives and
my PII with 400mHz had no problems with former installs.
Is it possible that just the Yast file is on a damaged part of the cd?
How can I check this and is there another way to install?
I have not enough space on my HD to download the cd. But could CD1 sbe
sufficient for a basic start and do I need all the files to copy on
my hd or can I sort trough the files to copy the relevant files for a
minmum setup?