Re: [SLE] SU can't connect. Why?
  • From: "S. Bulterman" <s_bulterman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 00:02:49 +0200
Ken Schneider wrote:
In a previous message, Ken Schneider wrote:

The proper procedure is:

as logged in user issue xhost +localhost
su
export DISPLAY=localhost:0

The reason that I use this is because I admin several *nix boxes at work
and this allows me to run gui tools on my desktop without having to go to
the machine and run the progs there. I actually use "xhost +" to allow
those boxes to display the programs on my desktop.

Yes it is not the most secure way to do things but for the local lan with
mostly computer iliterates on the lan not much can go wrong. Most (95%+)
get lost when they have to change their password.

It just goes to show you there are many different ways to get somrthing
done with linux. Use what you think is the best for your situation.

Ken

Hmmm, maybe use VNC through ssh tunnel.......

--
Thanks in advance,
Stefan

< Previous Next >