Re: [SLE] Installing RPMs - path (newbie)
  • From: John <yonaton@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 02:42:38 -0500

On Thursday 08 May 2003 10:13, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Thursday 08 May 2003 17:11, John wrote:
> > Like Anders said, you don't rpm -i an .src.rpm, with a src.rpm, in a
> > konsole you need to do this (as root)... rpm -rebuild foo.src.rpm , then
>
> Objection! that's not what I said. You can very well do rpm -i on a
> src.rpm, it just doesn't mean that you're "installint the rpm", it just
> means that the source, patches (if any) and spec file are copied to the
> /usr/src/packages tree, where you can fiddle with it, possibly creating a
> modified rpm.
>
> All I said was that you didn't have to do it over again every time you
> install a dependency
>
> --rebuild is of course another option, but then you get an identical rpm to
> the one SuSE provides, which usually isn't what you want if you're messing
> with the source

Okay, okay! No need to bite my head off. I just read it wrong I guess, and
all I was trying to do was add my small piece of copper to the 'help', it
isn't like I accused you of being an axe murderer or something.

As for you Fergus, I can't remember if I chose all of KDE or not. Usually I
go for picking all the things I want, instead of letting those 'packaged'
selections lump a bunch of stuff onto my hdd that I don't want or use, heh. I
thought for sure though that kpackage would be a part of kde no matter what
one did. Strange. Oh well, at least everything's been answered...I think.

John
- --
A butterfly is: Pretty,soft,harmless...and useless,
just like M$N. My Penguin eats butterflies.

< Previous Next >