Re: [SLE] Installing RPMs - path (newbie)
  • From: John <yonaton@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:11:48 -0500

On Thursday 08 May 2003 04:01, Chris Grainer wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 03:58, lee wrote:
> > Why not just use KPackage to do this ? Worked for me installing amsn on
> > 8.0 ? Or perhaps I'm out to lunch on this one..
> >
> > Lee
>
> I don't know if I even have KPackage:
>
> "linux:/home/chris/downloads # KPackage
> -bash: KPackage: command not found
>
> linux:~ # rpm -q KPackage
> package KPackage is not installed
>

> --
> Chris Grainer <chrisgrainer@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> linux:/home/chris/downloads # kpackage
> -bash: kpackage: command not found

You have kpackage. Start it up the same way in a konsole, but don't use any
capital letters. It's also in the menu (at least the KDE menu, heh)
System->Configuration->KPackage .
Like Anders said, you don't rpm -i an .src.rpm, with a src.rpm, in a konsole
you need to do this (as root)... rpm -rebuild foo.src.rpm , then after
waiting for it to do its thing, at the end you'll see something like
'wrote /usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386/foo.rpm' , you can then do
cp /usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386/foo.rpm /home/you, or just go to the directory
it's at and do rpm -i (in a konsole) or open konqueror and click on it and
YaST will install it. Often times, it's easiest to get all the .rpm's you'll
need for the app, put them all in an empty directory, and then type
rpm -i *.rpm (while in that directory of course) and IIRR, it will install
what needs to be installed in the order it needs it.

John
- --
A butterfly is: Pretty,soft,harmless...and useless,
just like M$N. My Penguin eats butterflies.

< Previous Next >