Re: [SLE] [OT] MPlayer : Painfull DVD playback.
  • From: John <yonaton@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 08:58:03 -0500

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 07:59, Clifford Okoro wrote:
> Yeah i know i should/can post this to the MPlayer list but i thought
> since we have both Mplayer and Suse users in one place why not ask em.
> So here I am.
> I'm running the latest stable release of MPlayer (compiled on my machine
> with ALSA sound as well as some other options) and I'm struggling with
> DVD playback. Yes the DVD is ruunning from the Drive. I'm running Nvidia
> GeForce 2 with the drivers installed from NVidia's site. Machine is a
> 900MHz Athlon with 500 Meg ram.
> With a machine like this should I *really* be struggling with DVD
> playback?
>
> What could be causing the slow down. By 'slow down' i mean frames are
> being dropped badly. I've tried the 'cache' options as well as
> 'hardframedrop' but no show. it's so bad MPlayer pops up with a popup
> suggesting options which i've tried but to no avail.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Clifford Okoro

Are you using SuSE 8.2? Maybe go into YaST and switch on DMA for the DVD?
Or, if those don't work and there aren't any other suggestions from anyone
else that help, maybe download Xine and try it and see if that works for you.
You can get pretty much everything you need fro Xine here
http://packman.links2linux.de/index.php4 (it's in german, but just use the
Tools->Translate Webpage->german-to-english and you'll get an idea of what
each thing is). Remember too, you'll need to get libdvdcss2, libfame, fame
(just for good measure), the w32codecs, and because I couldn't get Xine to
start, I got gxine, and that did the trick for me. Watched my first two DVD
movies last night on Xine as a matter of fact (first two dvd movies I've
*ever* seen actually, heh).
If anything is missing, it'll tell you during compilation or installation I
mean (I used only the .src.rpm's whenever I could).
Good luck and holler back if you need more help, these guys on this list are
a great bunch of people.

John
- --
A butterfly is: Pretty,soft,harmless...and useless,
just like M$N. My Penguin eats butterflies.