Re: [SLE] 3D--My only 8.2 Glitch
  • From: Curtis Rey <crrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 13:37:54 -0500

> > Also, look at the symlinks for /usr/lib/libGL*.
>
> I don't have a directory by that name on my system.

Yes you do. You just stated in the following answer that it has both the xf86
glx and mesasoft glx drivers. Don't sweat it, learning the Unix/Linux
directory structure take a bit of getting used to, but once you do you'll
likely find it easier to find things than in Bills Beast.

> > I am used to dealing with nvidia cards and am unsure
> > about what card your using since I haven't seen the 1st post you made.
>
> It's an Intel 82810 CGC.
>
> > I would make sure the the libGL.so is point to LibGL.so.1 and that to the
> > propers GL driver.
>
> This part I don't understand.

By running the "la" command ( short for list all - as in the all the file
parameters). I get this for my nvidia drivers.

crrey@Crusher-1:~> la /usr/lib/libGL*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2003-04-01 00:38 /usr/lib/libGL.so
- -> libGL.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 2003-04-01 00:38
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1 -> GL/libGL.so.1.0.4349.nv_glx
- -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4412898 2002-09-10 10:57 /usr/lib/libGLU.a
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 780 2002-09-10 10:57 /usr/lib/libGLU.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2003-04-01 18:42 /usr/lib/libGLU.so
- -> libGLU.so.1.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2003-04-01 18:40
/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 -> libGLU.so.1.3
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 680548 2002-09-10 10:58
/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2003-04-01 00:38
/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 -> libGLcore.so.1.0.4349
- -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4897592 2003-03-28 03:49
/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.4349

Symlinks are akin to short cuts, or in this case a pointer for other programs
to look for. The symlinks are indicated by the arrows (->).

libGL.so points to libGL.so.1 which in turn points to libGL.so.1.0.4349.nv_glx
(the nvidia gl driver). Likewise, the libGLU.so does the same. If these are
not symlinked correctly, and I suspect this is the case, then a program will
look for this and it will either be pointing to the wrong drivers (i.e.
mesasoft) or nowhere (yes this can happen - the libGL.so often gets messed up
during the install of other drivers this cause it to kludge and then leads
nowhare, so programs that look for this and when they try to execute the GL
drivers they simply aren't really there - only a symlink. Just like if a
shortcut on the desktop didn't know where the program executable was).

> > Furthermore, you may want to look at /usr/lib/GL so see
> > what other drivers are in there.
>
> In /usr/lib/GL I have two: libGL.so.1.2.xf86 (the one I'm assuming I need)
> and also libGL.so.1.4.mesasoft.

Go into the /usr/lib/GL and give this command (without qoutes) - "rm measoft*"
You could try before this to rpm -e mesasoft (the prm command to remove) but
in my experience this will not happen since it is linked to certian libraries
and rpm will complain about breaking the dependencies.

> > The symlinks and the drivers are often the issue. If you try to "rpm -e
> > > mesa" or the mesasoft (can't remember exactly
> > but I think it "rpm -e mesasoft") and it complains about the dependencies
> > with the mesa libs (keeping the mesa libs isn't a prob in my experience)
>
> It complains that mesasoft is needed by 3Ddiag.

Ya, I know it will complain, but is need for supporting older and/or inferior
no 3D cards (like an old Stealth 2000 card - that claimed to be 3D back in
the mid eighties before the advent of OpenGL and 3Dfx/Voodoo cards were
born).

> > then you can just manually rm the mesasoft drivers in the /usr/lib/GL dir
> > and reestablish/make the syms manually if need be. If unsure how this
> > goes repost. Let us know what you find.

Run the
s /usr/lib/libGL*

command and the higlight this with the mouse in the konsole, then middle click
once the mouse cursors is on the email page and this will cut and paste this
for you (in case your weren't aware of this feature).

Repost with the output of the la /usr/lib/libGL* command and I bet well get
your hardware 3D running.

Cheers, Curtis.

< Previous Next >