New IDE device
  • From: David Johanson <dcjohan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:56:05 -0400
I added a new dvd reader/writer today, a Sony DRU/500A. Unlike all the other CD type drives, this one is NOT SCSI, but IDE. The only other IDE device I have in this box is my Zip 250 which is identified as hdc4. The Zip 250 is cabled as master and the DVD as slave. My question is do I name this as hdc5 since the zip has taken the number 4, hdc3 because the zip demands the number 4 for some reason I don't understand, or something different for some other reason I don't understand.

tia,

dave

present fstab is as shown below:

/dev/sdb3 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/sdb1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/cd-rw /cd-rw auto rw,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy auto noauto,user 0 0
/dev/fd1 /floppyold auto noauto,user 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1 /windows/C vfat noauto,user 0 0
/dev/sdb2 swap swap defaults 0 2
/dev/hdc4 /zip vfat noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/hde1 /hardcard auto rw,noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/sde1 /mnt/MMC-SD auto noauto,user,sync 0 0
/dev/sdf1 /mnt/SmartMedia auto noauto,user,sync 0 0
/dev/sdg1 /mnt/CompactFlash auto noauto,user,sync 0 0
/dev/sdh1 /mnt/MemoryStick auto noauto,user,snyc 0 0
--
David C. Johanson
Linux Counter # 116410