NVIDIA Problem
  • From: "Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D." <smolnar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:43:12 -0400
I suspect, at least I hope, that I've finally found the problem with the NVIDIA drivers and my SuSE8.1 system.

Here is the output from 3Ddiag and 3Ddiag --mesasoft

3Ddiag version 0.496
Verifying 3D configuration:
Using 3dinfo
Verifying 3D configuration based on XFree86 4 for 3D board
"nVidia Corporation GeForce2 GTS (10de@0150)":
Tests for package "NVIDIA_GLX":
package ... done.
package files ... done.
Tests for package "NVIDIA_kernel":
package ... done.
package files ... done.
Tests for correct OpenGL libraries/GLX extensions:
Symbolic Links ... done.
/etc/sysconfig/3ddiag (SCRIPT_3D=switch2nvidia_glx) ... failed! <-------------------------------
3D Hardware acceleration is not used. To use 3D
Hardware acceleration the entry
SCRIPT_3D="switch2nvidia_glx"
is required in /etc/sysconfig/3ddiag. Execute /sbin/SuSEconfig
after changing this.
Test for correct XFree86 version ... done.
Tests for XFree86 configuration:
Config File /etc/X11/XF86Config ... done.
Driver ... failed! <-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3D Hardware acceleration is not used. To use 3D
Hardware acceleration please specify the entry
Driver "nvidia"
in the Section "Device" of your /etc/X11/XF86Config.
Color Depth ... done.
Extensions ... done.
Options ... done.
----------------------- NOTE -----------------------------------
If 3D hardware OpenGL configuration is not stable enough, you
should switch back to 'Mesa Software Rendering'. You can
verify this configuration with the command "3Ddiag --mesasoft".
----------------------- NOTE -----------------------------------
Checking GLU/glut runtime configuration:
GLU ... done (package mesaglu)
glut ... done (package mesaglut)
3Ddiag version 0.496
Verifying 'Mesa Software Rendering' configuration:
Using 3Ddiag.mesasoft
Tests for package "mesasoft":
package ...done.
package files ...done.
Tests for correct OpenGL libraries:
Symbolic Links ... failed! <-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Mesa Software Rendering is not used. To use 'Mesa Software
Rendering the skript
"/usr/X11R6/bin/switch2mesasoft"
must be executed.
/etc/sysconfig/3ddiag (SCRIPT_3D=switch2mesasoft) ... failed! <------------------------------
'Mesa Software Rendering' is not used. To use 'Mesa Software
Rendering' the entry
SCRIPT_3D="switch2mesasoft"
is required in /etc/sysconfig/3ddiag. Execute /sbin/SuSEconfig
after changing this.
Checking GLU/glut runtime configuration:
GLU ... done (package mesaglu)
glut ... done (package mesaglut)

For some reason the necessary links are not being made during the installation process. I've tried the new installation script, as well as installing the individual rpm's.

I really need to be able to use OpenGL. Any suggestions for solutions will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

< Previous Next >