Re: [SLE] nVIDIA Problem

> SuSE 8.1 system. I just downloaded and installed the NVIDIA_kernel and
> NVIDIA_GLX 4349 rpm's and installed them. I made the appropriate edits to
> the XF86Config file.
>
> When I run startx the screen goes black and nothing happens. It's
> necessary to reboot to regain control.

Look at your XF86Config file to see what AGP option you are using. It
may/may not be there. If not you can use a option to tell the drivers
what AGP driver to use. This info is in the README file that comes with
the drivers. Note: I wasn't trying to shout the word readme, I was just
showing you that it was in all caps.

> If I change "nvidia" back to "nv" XWindows will start, but if I run gears I
> get the message:
>
> OpenGL GLX extensions not supported by display : 0.0

That is because the nv ones doesn't support 3D. Someone will probably
correct me on this.

> I also tried nVIDIA's new install method for the drivers and got the same
> result - it didn't work

According to nvidia's site, you should not use the new .run file on the
8.1 system. Use the rpm's. But again I'm sure that this mey be
corrected.

--
Marshall

"Nothing is impossible, We just do not have all the anwsers to make
the impossible, possible."