Re: [SLE] SuSE 8.2 -- What is the best file system?
  • From: Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:54:27 -0400

On April 13, 2003 03:48 pm, Nicholas Parsons wrote:

Hello Nicholas:

> You are correct. I think SuSE has used reiser FS as its default
> almost since SuSE's inception as a linux distro.

Not really, journaling FS's are a recent development in Linux. SuSE, IIRC,
start their business in 1993(?). At that time the default FS was ext2.

SuSE first started by translating Slackware into German and selling it. Later
they developed their own distro based on an older distro called Jurix.

> Ah. Freedom to choose.

Yes, this is one of the reasons why I switched to Linux.

> What is the competition between two linux products that abide
> by the GPL?

Technical merits. Free Software and Open Source developers usually have petty
big ego ;-).

> Usually there
> are features in one that lack in the other and vice-versa.

Yes, and they will "steal" the good ideas and/or code from each other.

> If there was only 1 choice this would not be the case.

No, you just would know about the features of "the other" program that does
not exist.

> If a project dies
> in this scenerio, I think that is caused by lack of interest in
> the "head" developer and that person just wants to get out for
> one reason or another.

It might not die in the conventional sense, but if no one is using it, it is
as good as dead.

> I don't think that one GPL program can
> drive another GPL program out of business. :-)

No, it can't but if the program have no users and/or if the developers are
bored- it will die. Once you have been around longer you will notice that
projects come and go all the time- the best ones will survive.

Charles

- --
"Linux, because up-time matters
gawk; talk; date; wine; grep; touch; unzip; touch; gasp; finger; gasp; mount;\
fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; make mrproper; sleep."
- --Drunken Bastard