Re: [SLE] SuSE 8.2 -- What is the best file system?
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:37:47 -0500
On Sunday 13 April 2003 10:16 am, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> On April 13, 2003 09:22 am, Nicholas Parsons wrote:
> > So does anyone on this list have experience using the other
> > file system types that SuSE offers out of the box? And if
> > so, can you please elaborate which is the "best" to use?
>
> Decide for youself after reading this series of articles on journaling
> FS for Linux:
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-fs.html
>
> with links at the bottom to the other parts. The link to part 7 on
> ext3 is located at:
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs7/
>
> Basically, it boils down to:
>
> (1) Speed and saving of disk space when you have lots of small files:
> ReiserFS
>
> (2) Data integrity and compatibility with existing tools designed for
> ext2 : ext3
>
> (3) Video streaming server and systems with very large files: XFS.
>
> I myself use ext3 for all partitions. YMMV
>
> Charles

One advantage of XFS is that it comes with an extensive set of additional
'tools' such as a program that will expand an XFS fs dynamically.

>From another list:

One thing people seem to forget is the fact that XFS has a *lot* of user
space tools that ext3, reiser, jfs and others don't, such as:
xfs_growfs which will resize a partition on the fly
xfs_admin for labeling and renaming
xfs_check for error filesystem and inode correction
xfs_freeze to freeze a filesystem for snapshots
xfs_fsr to reallocate or defragment a filesystem
xfs_bmap to print block mapping for an XFS filesystem
xfs_db to debug an XFS filesystem
xfs_logprint to print the log of an XFS filesystem
xfsdump to back up a filesystem
xfsrestore to restore a filesystem

None of the other journalling filesystems are close to being as
"full-featured" and rely on external programs to perform these
functions. I prefer tools native to the filesystem rather than the os or
third party.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 04/13/03
10:34 +
"What's a thousand dollars? mere chicken feed. A `poultry' matter." -
Groucho
Marx

< Previous Next >