Re: [SLE] KDE 3.1.1 RPM installation and dependencies
  • From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:46:52 +0200
* Dennis Nigbur <d.nigbur@xxxxxxxxxxxx> (Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:37:40AM +0100)
> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from KDE 3.0.3 to version 3.1.1 in SuSE 8.0, and
> have downloaded the RPM packages from the LinuKS page
> http://www.suse.co.uk/uk/private/download/linuks/i386/update_for_8_0/
> base.html. However, given the problems some people on this list have
> reported with the upgrade, I'd like to proceed as cautiously as possible
> from here. Please point me towards some answers if you can.
>
> 1.) Installation - In which order do I install the RPMs? It probably
> makes sense to start with qt3, but what comes after that?

rpm -Uvh *rpm

> 2.) Dependencies - I can't find a list of required libraries on the SuSE
> pages referenced above. When I try to upgrade the qt3.rpm package, I
> receive an error message telling me that qt3.0.3 is required. That
> package is installed on my system! How come it isn't found?

See above, you need to do them all in one go.

> 3.) Caveats - Some people seem to have experienced some difficulty
> after the upgrade, including some fonts issues. Are there any potential
> conflicts or required upgrades outside KDE (e.g. Freetype) that I need
> to attend to before or after upgrading KDE?

KDE 3.1 -> kde3.1.1 has been the smoothest upgrade of them all for me ...
No issues whatsoever (but then, Im running suse 7.3 (wth 8.0 Qt stuff)

Currently listening to: Sweet Wine

Gerhard, <faliquid@xxxxxxxxx> == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
__O Programming today is a race between software engineers
=`\<, striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,