re: [SLE] Record grep
Jay,

awk is a general purpose program for doing all sorts of reporting.

It is a little slow, but highly functional.

It is great for scanning logs/formatted text files.

I have written several "hundred line" awk scripts.

For what you describe try:
awk -F: '/root/ { print }' /etc/passwd

If you want specific fields try:
awk -F: '/root/ { print "user = " $1, ", uid = " $3, ", shell = ", $7}' /etc/passwd

If you want the pattern to be in a specific field, not just anywhere on the line try:
awk -F: '$3 == 0 { print }' /etc/passwd

The one thing I have never tried is a multi-char separator.

Even if it is not explicitly supported, a short awk script could pull in the whole line and scan for the separator string.

Greg