Re: [SLE] Building a GUI app to generate a wordprocessed letter
  • From: Derek Fountain <derekfountain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:29:04 +0800
> I'm curious, what issues was there in the ODBC with OO? Once you get OO
> to attach to a db, then you can use fields from the database to fill in
> parts of the letter.

It was a few months ago now, but from what I recall, it basically worked as
you say, until you actually try to *use* it. For example, the queries, such
as it offers, often just didn't work. Zero rows would come out when clearly
the data was there. Changing the DB structure led to all sort of problems,
which almost invariably led to throwing away all the OO side of the work and
redoing it. I saw crash after crash after crash.

It struck me as alpha code, sort of proof of concept. I'm after something
simple at the moment, like, "find the people in the DB who haven't had the
introduction letter". I wouldn't trust OO/ODBC to manage that reliably, let
alone some of the more complex stuff I have in mind for it later.

--
"...our desktop is falling behind stability-wise and feature wise to KDE
...when I went to Mexico in December to the facility where we launched gnome,

< Previous Next >