Re: [SLE] Windows Media Viewer files
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:51:42 +0000
"J. Scott Thayer, M.D." wrote:

> Is there any app that plays .wmv files in LInux?

I've been able to play most of the ones I've encountered with MPlayer,
but for various licensing reasons the provided SuSE rpm of mplayer
doesn't have the full ability range the program is capable of. Head to
http://mplayerhq.hu and start reading the compilation docs - it's a bit
indigestible, but essentially you are looking to use that site to
collect collections of codecs, and then find the right combination of
compile flags to compile in support for the file formats you want.
MPlayer is not exactly point and click, but is massively capable once
you get it running well. Until not long ago I would still find myself
booting windows to use MS's media player, now I think MPlayer is much
superior.

HTH
Fergus