Re: [SLE] Linux isn't ready yet
  • From: Marino Fernandez <mjferna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:59:17 -0800 (PST)
Yes, Linux isn't ready yet... I wouldn't argue about
the issues making things work in linux... Linux is
PAIN!!!

But the potential I see in linux, and the VERY DARK
future I see in windows make me keep going...

I live in Mexico, my laptop was purchased in the
USA... In linux I can watch DVD from any region (with
Xine), but not in windows.... WHY!!!!!... I paid for
them, they are MINE (aren't they). In linux your
hardware does (or at least tries to) what you tell it
to do (yeah, thell that to the stupid printer)... you
tell him to play a DVD and I will play it... no matter
what some bozo decided about regions...

In linux all the software and your hardware works for
you... no obscure programs sending info to some
unknown server... or crapplets in the systray.

In linux you can fiddle with things as much as you
decide; things are open, for you to see, and change as
much as you want or can...

Linux IS AND WORKS FOR YOU... not for some big
company.... IT IS YOURS, paradoxically, YOU OWN IT AND
DOES YOUR BIDING, not Bill Gates' of the NSA or the
KGB or the Gestapo or Cocacola or Columbia-MGM or
whatever...

Yes, GNU/linux is pain... I hope for now... but for
the sake of all of us, some day, it will be the model
and the basis for end-user/desktop computing....
otherwise, computing can become very crappy... when
the closed source, spyware laden, palladium crippled
pcs start to roll out the factories...

Today's linux is PAIN!!!... PAIN!!!... PAIN!!!... but
is the price someone has to pay for the Linux that
will/could/should be.